In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            Matthew Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
:     Peter, you are again not reading what I'm posting carefully enough.
:     I said very specifically that we wouldn't be using the fractional
:     stuff for this case.

I think that this is a worthy problem to solve.  But not for 5.0.  It
is too late in the game to be playing games this big with the ABI.  It
will have to wait for 6.0, even if the problem is extremely pressing
and hurting people today.  It is just too late.  We should be focusing
on polishing/finishing the features that are already in the tree, or
nearly ready to go into the tree.  The scope of this proposal seems
too large given that we're two or three months out from a release.

If you are looking ahead to 6.0, then I think now is a good time to
start since we can do the cut over just after we do the branch in a
few months.  This will also give us time to prototype and test
things so we don't have any false starts.  We may even be able to
retrofit it into 5.1 or 5.2, but even if we can't that's OK.

I mean, I've stalled for three years getting cardbus into a release.
If we can live w/o a clear and present technology for a couple of
years, we certainly can wait a little bit to solve the time problem.

imho.

Warner