On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Doug Rabson wrote:

> > : I'm open to patches for building /[s]bin as dynamic.  If you have
> > : time and can coordinate with [EMAIL PROTECTED] to build the patch, I
> > : would appreciate it.
> >
> > % make NOSHARED=NO buildworld
> >
> > No patches necessary.  We do this all the time at work, and it works
> > fabulously.  I do this for disk based systems that have / and /usr on
> > the same file system too.
>
> To do it right for split root/usr installations requires a few patches
> though. The rtld and the libs required for /[s]bin need to move to / and
> compat symlinks created from /usr. A suitable crunchgen'ed binary for
> /recover would be useful too.

I had some local patches that did a subset of this -- moved ld.so to /lib,
as well as installing shared libraries to /lib instead of /usr/lib for the
base system.  I seem to recall I also had to tweak some defaults in ld.so
or rtld or the like, though.  I agree that the right path to support fully
dynamic systems properly is to adopt the approach taken by NetBSD: provide
a decent /recover with crunchgen, etc.  I do use fully dynamic stuff for
some local test boxes, makes upgrading libc code for development purposes
much easier, as well as supporting dlsym() for /sbin, which is very useful
in my environment.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]      Network Associates Laboratories