At 12:45 PM -0500 12/27/02, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 11:35:45AM -0600, Ryan Thompson wrote:
 Problem is, smb requires a '$' at the end of the username, which our
 pw(8) doesn't allow.
The same patch which you proposed was suggested on the freebsd-current list.
See the thread "pw_user.c change for samba":

http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2002/freebsd-current/20021201.freebsd-current.html
http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2002/freebsd-current/20021208.freebsd-current.html

I'm not sure what the outcome of the discussion was.
The short-term outcome was that we were surprised to find out that
the adduser script in 5-current was still using perl, and that there
were some other perl scripts still in the base system.  This was much
more urgent to address than the $ in user-names.

My intention was to write an update to allow $ as the last character
in a userid and groupid, once we settled on a new version of adduser.
I still have that around somewhere.  I should look into that again.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]