Well, perhaps I'm missing something here, but can't you just tokenize the items
in rc.conf using strtok after opening up the file in your C program?

And char buffer sizes is a problem, you can record where the file pointer is,
do you a strtok on say '=', subtract the new file pointer size with the old
one, malloc your char string, then move the file pointer back to its previous
location.

I mean, I may certainly be missing something here, but I've never noticed
rc.conf be anything other than a left hand value and a right hand value (often
enclosed in quotes), with both sides being separated by an equal sign.

-Mike

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]: