On Friday 28 February 2003 07:52, Terry Lambert wrote:

> I blame this on people unsuited to writing software getting CS
> degrees and/or programming jobs, because they think that that's where
> the money is at.  Luckily, they later find out that salary is a
> matter of merit, much more than it's a matter of having paper
> credentials, and if you haven't blown at least one test because you
> wer in the CS lab until 5AM playing with the new Retrogrpahics cards
> and high persistance phosphor tubes, and slept through your alarm,
> well...  8-) 8-).

Oh, the good old days.

> Very soon, these people end up finding gainful
> employment asking people if they would like fries with that.

Just like RMS wants them too.  But wait, he wants you and me to be doing
that too...

> I personally attribute the majority of very long lines to deep
> structure element nesting, which everyone seems happy to do these
> days, and long_variable_names_which_try_to_be_meaningful_but_fail.
> Hell, you can't add two of those together, even with a "+=", and
> not wrap the line at least once...

Ditto.  I have a single function, the critical path of the Xylan switch
control software, that fits nicely in 80 columns.  It has a McCabe's
complexity number of 360, the highest I've ever heard of.  According to
McCabe, anything beyond 25 is not understandable by human beings and
it's a logarithmic scale.

> > No, but your editor really ought to be able to interpret tab stops
> > correctly at like 0.5 in increments.  Code editors on the Mac have
> > been doing this for years.
>
> If editors like this were more common, it would be a lot easier to
> justify use of proportional fonts in coding editors.  I don't think
> anyone really cares how many characters there are after a tabstop,
> so long as the visual layout is uniform to the left of the code.  If
> you use indentation, this still works, no mater what your font, as
> long as there are fixed indentations per tab (IMO).

Precisely.  The GNU enscript pretty-print function does a relatively
nice job of this, but it ends up mangling the gnu-style continuation
line indents.  Solution?  Don't do continuation lines.  At all.  Just
print your code 1-up in 7 point Palatino and it fits nicely on
Letter-size paper.  For those of us weird enough to print code, that
is.

Wes Peters                                                  Softweyr LLC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                    http://softweyr.com/