John wrote:

----- Julian Elischer's Original Message -----

It is teh nextthing to look at..
The ptrace interface doesn't extend to coverthreads at all.
We willneed to design somewhole new system..
One posibility is the benedict arnold thread(*), that
talks with the debugger and controlls teh other threads..

Well, hoping not to create a NIH discussion, but OS/2 had/has a nice interface for thread debugging. Used it years ago as a model for setting up an environment on the mainframe (vm).

One thing to remember, a failed thread on one cpu has no effect
on any threads running on other physicals.  You literally
need a way to control how many threads can run in parallel, how
many physical cpus they can use, and in some circumstances,
logicals.

-John

I believe that on Linux there is a different process id for different kernel threads, is that the same, or is there a parallel for FreeBSD 5 (4.x uses user threads correct?). If that is true, could ptrace allow you to use a process id for a specific thread instead of the entire process. Then a signal (for traced processes) whenever a thread is started or stopped, and you should be able to control the state of threads. This is probably somewhat simplistic since I do not understand the whole KSE thing (but it sounds great). I am very interested in making GDB support threading very intuitively, as it is a big pain write now. For FreeBSD 4.x, could the idea Julian had (benedict arnold thread), be used to control the user threads library.

-kw