Max Clark wrote:

Ohh, that's an interesting snag. I was under the impression that 5.x w/ PAE
could address more than 4GB of Ram.

It does. However as long as a pointer is 32 bits, your address space for a process
is maxed out at 4G which translates to about 2.5G user after kernel and other
things have taken their toll.

If fsck requires 700K for each 1GB of Disk, we are talking about 7GB of Ram
for 10TB of disk. Is this correct? Will PAE not function correctly to give
me 8GB of Ram? To check 10TB of disk?

PAE functions correctly but does not provide for 7G address space.

Is there anyway to bypass this requirement and split fsck into smaller
chunks? Being able to fsck my disk is kinda important.

Yes, you do that by splitting up the filesystem to smaller filesystems. Kind of obvious?

I have zero experience with either itanium or opteron. What is the current
status of support for these processors in FreeBSD? What would the preferred
CPU be? Will there be PCI cards that I would not be able to use in either of
these systems?

I´m personally biased towards the Opteron, but that´s more based on that it makes
more sense than their technical merits so far (because neither has too much).

Both CPU´s should work fine with 5.2 according to the TODO list. Meanwhile I suggest
you play with the number of inodes on the 10TB filesystem and see how that affects
the memory usage.

Pete