On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:50:59PM -0800 I heard the voice of
Avleen Vig, and lo! it spake thus:

> While it is indeed true that most machines since 1997 will support this
> CD format, please take in to account:

And, further, some of us don't have (and don't want) CD burners, and even
if we had 'em, don't want to burn (no pun intended ;) a CD blank just to
install an OS, when we can just (re-)use 2 floppies and do it across the
LAN from a local FTP mirror, which is as fast as a CD drive anyway.

It seems to me that we could split more out into modules, and/or add more
disks of modules (maybe categorize a "storage device" modules disk, a
"network drivers" modules disk, etc, keeping just the more common devices
in the main kernel).  Last I saw, the current system only created a
single modules disk, which was a godsend to a kernel overflowing one
disk, but as we add more and more stuff becomes another, albeit larger,
noose.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]