On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 07:27:08PM +0100 I heard the voice of
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav, and lo! it spake thus:

> CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU is not likely to have any positive impact on
> performance, and fairly likely to render the system unbootable.

I would guess just from the name that this (and some similarly named
options) apply only to Cyrix 5x86 processors.  Somehow, I don't think
you'll run into too many of them in benchmarks these days.  Just a
hunch.

>    CPUTYPE ?= pentiumpro

I recall a thread somewhere recently about pentiumpro being decidedly
suboptimal for some new CPUs.  Although, on 4.x with the older version
of gcc, it may not matter.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]