At 2:52 PM -0800 3/21/04, Kip Macy wrote:
The heuristics vary from platform to platform - what does
"objdump -d" show?

Based on what I see from that, the 'ps.o' which has the extra strcmp is about 40 bytes larger than the one without it. And now that you mention it, doing a plain 'ls -l' of ps.o shows that it is only 40 bytes larger. It's when you combine that file with the other *.o files, and strip it, that the final result ends up 3940 bytes larger.

So maybe this has something to do with how linking is done
for ELF modules.  Unfortunately, I need to be concentrating
on something else right now...

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]