On Apr 14, 2004, at 5:14 PM, Tim Kientzle wrote:

Craig Rodrigues wrote:
Is there a C library that comes with FreeBSD which
can be used to parse, append to, and validate
rc.conf?
I'd like to customize some of the settings in /etc/rc.conf
with my own GUI-based program.  It's not too hard
to write something on my own, but I was wondering
if a reusable library existed in FreeBSD 4.x or 5.x for doing this.

There was a detailed discussion of this topic about a year ago. Here is how to obtain the current settings from rc.conf from within a C program:

* Clear the current environment

 * popen() a shell command that sources rc.conf, then
   runs printenv

* read and parse the output of printenv

The basic idea is to just let the shell do
the work for you.

It's a little more awkward, but another way to do this is to use a shell shim
along the lines of

#!/bin/sh
. /etc/whatever
exec /your/program

The shell's environment will be exported to your program's environment.

Greg Shenaut