Hi,

Bruce Cran wrote:

No, Apple _does_ invest the money and time to create an x86 port: http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/
That is only the kernel and command-line utilities, there's no GUI included. http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_xnu.html provides a good overview of the kernel. Apple did have a port of MacOS X to x86 (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/09/02/apples_x86_os_named_sized/), I would guess they were waiting to see which CPU they were going to use after the G3, since Motorola were being a little slow in making faster PowerPC CPUs. They were considering switching to an Intel-based line; in the end they went with IBM and their PPC970, so I would think it's fairly unlikely we'll now ever see a version (of the GUI) for x86.

--
Bruce Cran

As for GUI, no problem. Apple will be able to add X.org one or other one with their DeskTop on the kernel ASAP, I guess.

Eitarou

--

***********************
Eitarou Kamo