At 8:57 PM +0300 10/2/04, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
On 2004-10-02 21:23, Lee Harr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > > John Beck, who works for Sun, has posted an entry in his blog
 > > yesterday about "rm -fr /" protection, which I liked a lot:
 > >
 > > http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jbeck/20041001#rm_rf_protection
>
 > > His idea was remarkably simple, so I went ahead and wrote this
 > > patch for rm(1) of FreeBSD:

 How about:

 chflags sunlnk /
 ?

Setting sunlink on / will only protect the / directory, not its descendants, so you don't gain much.

We could add a new flag "srunlnk", or maybe even "srm-r". The "rm" command will always have to stat() the file it is given (just to see if it is a directory), so it could check to see if this flag is turned on. If it is turned on, then 'rm' could refuse to honor any '-rf' request on that directory.

I like the idea of *some* kind of protection for "rm -rf /", but I
think it would be better as something more generally useful than
protecting against that one single case.  While I have typed in a
few dozen disastrous "rm -rf" commands, I have never actually typed
in "rm -rf /", so this particular seat belt would never have done me
any good.  By tieing the feature to a settable flag, then I would
have the option to protect to other directories (if I wanted to add
such protection).

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]