On Tue, 3 May 2005, c0ldbyte wrote:

IMHO this isnt something that should be included with mergemaster due
to the following things. 1). It should upgrade a file if the files cvs
id doesnt match and provide you with a merge option, which it allready
does both of those as it is now. 2). Only upgrading files that havent
been changed is going to result in a positive false situation where
the user actually thinks that his/her system has been fully upgraded
and when in fact it hasnt, leaving added lines to files out where they
should have been merged in. Preferably also IMHO this patch to
mergemaster should be or would be better off renamed to another
project and/or an option for people to compile into the system if they
wish to have that kind of functionality. E.g: System/Addon for world
through the use of a set variable in /etc/make.conf.local or something
similiar.

But with all due respect, This just seems like another case of a
"Bike Shed" incident.

First off, I'd like to introduce you to the concepts of paragraphs. When you change thoughts, it is customary to hit enter and start on a blank line. Sometimes, you can even leave a whole line between them. This tends to make your writing much more readable.

In regards to your post, show me again where he said he was going to change the behavior of mergemaster OTHER then auto-updating non changed files? To me it looks like it will keep doing what it's doing now, with the exception of auto-updating files with no changes. This to me means I don't have to go approving a bunch of changes to files I've never touched. This is a good thing(tm).

Jason

--
Jason Slagle