On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 04:48:41PM +0200, Andrea Campi wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 08:39:30AM -0600, Ryan P. Sommers wrote:
> > > Hub in question is a linksys NH1005 v2.
> > >
> > > PS If anyone knows of a hub that's "easy" to find and still is an actuall
> > > good 'ol hub, let me know.
> >
> > Linksys is sort of well known for playing this trick: they call entry
> > level switches "hub" and reserve "switch" for higher-level equipment.
> > Which is fine for people who just have to check email and play Quake, but
> > screws you to no end when you actually need a hub :-/
> >
> > Google will tell you more about this, as well as suggesting real hubs.
> > I'd recommend to go with Netgear.
>
> Alternativly, if you can get your hands on a second ethernet port for
> your sniffer box, make a passive tap:

I came in kinda late to this thread, but if you're trying to find
a hub/switch in order to sniff network traffic, then you can always
go for a switch that let's you monitor traffic on other ports.
I know the Cisco's will let you do this, but I'd be suprised if
you couldn't find it on some other cheaper switches.

--
DE