Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Actually, it is as easy as that.  And it's exactly the way this kind
of case is usually handled.

almost.. you need to account for the fact that our computers are 2-s compliment machines and the checksum is a 1-s compliment checksum

I think it's given in one of the RFCs but  I think it may also
be used in the tcpmss port, or possibly the mss fixup code in ppp.
I know I've used it somewhere but forget where :-)

RFC 1071, but that doesn't include the code.  Just the one-sentence
explanation of what to do.  [And several more sentences of