Steven Hartland wrote:
Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
Is there something I'm missing?

I can't see anything missing there from the reproduction steps.

Was ad0s1g also ok? The slight differences I did here where
the following but I cant seem them being significant:
1. dump -a0uL -C 32 -f /nfs/usr.dmp /usr
2. restore rf usr.dmp
3. fstab entry: /nfs/usr -maproot=root testbox

Other differences which spring to mind:
1. machines where both using areca controllers on RAID6 arrays.
2. This was a real machine and not a VM

One other thing of note when I first repaired this I booted from
Install Disk #1 and used the same procedure for the sysinstall
part from fixit and no corruption occured.

Pardon me showing up on hackers@ (I ain't one), but I have
to ask ....

So, when you do this, you are using /stand/sysinstall, or
**/usr**/sbin/sysinstall?

Kevin Kinsey

--
God made the integers; all else is the work of Man.
                -- Kronecker