Steven Hartland wrote:
 > Doug Barton wrote:
 > > Steven Hartland wrote:
 > >
 > > > Given that it sounds like a potential workaround is to use the
 > > > machines IP instead of name until this is fixed, thanks for the info
 > > > guys.
 > >
 > > For as long as I can remember, it's been a Best Practice to have
 > > entries for critical NFS servers in /etc/hosts.
 >
 > Hmm sounds more like a workaround for something thats not been
 > fixed to me but thats just my opinion.

I agree with both of you ...  I also always have critical
NFS servers in /etc/hosts in order to make them independent
of working DNS.  It is recommended as Best Practice, not
only on FreeBSD.  But indeed it really feels like a work-
around rather than a solution.

However, the problem isn't easy to solve in general.

For FreeBSD, I think a workable solution would be to
write a new RC script (e.g. /etc/rc.d/port_up) that
polls the configured interfaces and waits until they
are up.  It should have a configurable timeout so it
won't hang forever.  Then add it to the REQUIRE line
of the /etc/rc.d/mountcritremote script.

Best regards
   Oliver

"[...]  one observation we can make here is that Python makes
an excellent pseudocoding language, with the wonderful attribute
that it can actually be executed."  --  Bruce Eckel