Ivan Voras wrote:
Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
I have been thinking a lot about looking for speed increases for "make
index" and pkg_version and things like that.  So for example, in
pkg_version, it calls "make -V PKGNAME" for every installed package. Now
"make -V PKGNAME" should be a speedy operation, but the make has to load
in and analyze bsd.port.mk, a quite complicated file with about 200,000
characters in it, when all it is needing to do is to figure out the
value of the variable PKGNAME.

As long as far-out ideas are being discussed, how about caching such
information (including dependenices) in a file (I'd call it a database
but then I'd had to start a holy war :) ) so it's calculated only once,
preferably on the portsnap / cvsup servers and not at the end-user?

Because the information is not a constant. For example, the mpg123 port changes its PKGNAME as soon as esound is installed.