Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 03:52:16PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
I have been thinking a lot about looking for speed increases for "make index" and pkg_version and things like that. So for example, in pkg_version, it calls "make -V PKGNAME" for every installed package. Now "make -V PKGNAME" should be a speedy operation, but the make has to load in and analyze bsd.port.mk, a quite complicated file with about 200,000 characters in it, when all it is needing to do is to figure out the value of the variable PKGNAME.

I have a related question, pertaining to "make all-depends-list" and the
utter atrocity that is the make variable ALL-DEPENDS-LIST.  If you don't
know what it is, look for ^ALL-DEPENDS-LIST around line 5175, in
bsd.ports.mk.

I posted this to [EMAIL PROTECTED], but now I am realizing that it is [EMAIL PROTECTED] that gets more responses. Anyway, here is a multithreaded program "all-depends-list" that can get you double the speed on dual processor systems, and even some small speed gains on single processor systems. E.g.

all-depends-list /usr/ports/x11/xorg

http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen/all-depends-list.c