I recently reinstalled Windows XP on my laptop (I barely use it but
occasionally it comes in handy :) and when I did the install it made
the base drive E (no idea why, and I couldn't see how to change it).

Everything proceeds as usual and then I boot a CD to then jump start my
system and run boot0cfg to re-write the boot loader.

Alas the next time I boot Windows it logs me out straight after logging
in. I do some googling and find that it is most likely that the
signature bytes Windows uses to determine which drive is what have
changed and it has now made the drive C:. Hence the swapfile location
is now incorrect :(

I was wondering if it would be possible to modify boot0cfg (and boot0 I
guess) so that it avoids touching these bytes.

I found some details here ->
http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm
Basically it would appear to be the 4 bytes just before the partition
table. I'm not sure how big boot0 is though :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum