On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

PS I'm looking at pkg_install and pkg_version mostly, but I'll be looking into the other package utilities closely in the next couple weeks, evaluating what approaches I should take in solving some bottlenecks with installing packages and ports. My goals are up on <http://wiki.freebsd.org/GarrettCooper>, and will be modified soon.

Since you are interested in speeding up the pkg_* stuff, I thought I would bring these to your attention (speed ups to the pkg_create and port registration processes, not quite what you are doing, but related).

Let me also wish you good luck in your speed improvements. I was rather encouraged by these two, but all my future searches proved somewhat negative. In particular I looked rather hard at trying to speed up "make" (required for pkg_version when it calls "make -V PKGNAME" multiple times). I can tell you that in that instance, replacing linear lists by berkeley DB made no difference at all - it was very disappointing. In short, you really want to do a lot of profiling and see where the speed bottlenecks really are before writing lots of code.

Stephen