Ed Schouten wrote:
* Julian Elischer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ed Schouten wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to just implement it through fcntl() and implement
closefrom() in libc?
that's a possibility but I personally thing the huge difference in efficiency
makes it worth putting it in the kernel.
Quite a few programs I know of could really help their startup time with this as the first thing they do is "close the first 2000 file descriptors.

Woops! Sorry for responding this late, but it looks like I didn't
explain myself good enough. Sorry. :) To rephrase myself:

Wouldn't it be better to just implement fcntl(..., F_CLOSEM, ...) in the
kernel and make closefrom() a simple libc routine:

void
closefrom(int lowfd)
{
        fcntl(lowfd, F_CLOSEM, NULL);