On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 04:39:42PM +0200, Dirk GOUDERS wrote:

> > We could extend the 'count' field to accept 'N+M'. N being the number of
> > plain log files and M the number of compressed ones.
> >
> > This would also negate the need for a new flag.
>
> It could also be done with a numerical flag "n" where n is a number that
> specifies the extension of the logfile up to which no compression
> should be done.  An example configfile entry for 90 rotate logs and 40
> uncompressed ones would look as follows:
>
> # logfilename          [owner:group]    mode count size when  flags
> [/pid_file] [sig_num]
> /var/log/example.log                  644  89    100  *     J39
>
> I already implemented that approach and am currently testing it.
> When finished, I will post a patch so that David can try it, but that
> will not happen before Sunday, because I am a little bit busy with
> other things.
>
> Most of the changes handle the compressed and uncompressed logs and it
> will be little work to modify it for the N+M count-field approach.

Ah -- well, then: by all means.  I'm even more willing to test other
folks' work than I am to hack away at code. :-}

And since I had tested my own Perl script, I think I should be able to
help out with this.  :-)

And "after Sunday" is not a problem at all:  thank you!

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Anything and everything is a (potential) cat toy.