On Sun, 2 Sep 2007, Max Laier wrote:

On Saturday 01 September 2007, Klaus Schneider wrote:

Well, anybody know a way to make the FreeBSD run just binaries that I have compiled?

For example: A hacker get a access to a shell into my server, and then it put a exploit code, but on the machine don't have a compiler, then he tries to put the compiled exploit... supose that I can't mount the users partition in "noexec" mode...

Anybode knows a solution for these?

IIRC csjp@ had some code to do this inside the MAC framework. Storing hashes in extended attributes and only allowing execution of signed executables ... http://perforce.freebsd.org/fileLogView.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/trustedbsd/mac/sys/security/mac%5fchkexec/mac%5fchkexec.c ... not sure what became of it, though.

I believe he also was able to verify other things, such as shared libraries, which for modern binaries is the obvious next step given that a fair chunk of code run in many programs isn't in the main program binary.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge