Hi, I am trying to do the following with existing systems running 4.5.
I'd really appreciate if anyone has any hints, pointers, opinions, or
even just "you should talk to this other group" for me.

1.      Existing system: FreeBSD 4.5 based with FreeBSD boot loader
(boot0) in MBR
2.      I am trying to install a new software based on either FreeBSD
6.2 or later, or LINUX with the following restrictions:

        a.      No console access
        b.      No media access other than serial port, Ethernet,
existing HD with 4.5 installed (i.e. NO CD/DVD, floppy, USB....etc)

3.      The hard drive (1) has enough empty space (currently not
partitioned/used) so I can create a new slice to put the new OS/software
in and boot from the new OS, but I am not sure how I can achieve that.

So I guess my questions are:

1.      Is it possible for me to boot of FreeBSD 4.5 and "run an
installation over Ethernet/ftp"?
2.      Is it possible for me to "tar up a FreeBSD 6.2" partition, put
onto the 4.5 disk (new partition) then "sysinstall" (or something like
that) to make the system boot from the new partition?
3.      How would I even start thinking about doing the same with LINUX
as the new OS? :-)

Any information you can provide is highly appreciated. Thanks !!

Thomas