Garrett Cooper wrote:
On Dec 27, 2007, at 4:30 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knew of a good BSD license compatible key-based hash placement / retrieval algorithm that was available anywhere. I'm looking for a reliable way to lookup objects to see if a given action would be performed in my revised pkg_install(1), to thus efficiently pre-plan out the installation dependencies and fully utilize multiprocessing capabilities of contemporary machines / eliminate duplicate dependency install requirements. I know I can use tree structures or hash(3), but I want to avoid trees (inefficient with large data sets of course) and I was looking for a non-BDB based solution (for right now, with this given structure as I don't want to write everything to disk).

You can pass NULL as a file name to dbopen, and thereby not store the results permanently in a file. BDB will still use a temporary file internally, but this will be invisible to your users.

Diomidis Spinellis - http://www.spinellis.gr