Hi,

Ivan Voras wrote:
Stefan Lambrev wrote:

I do not have HEPT on the servers that I test, but simple test on my laptop shows
that hping can generate with ACPI-fast ~4MB/s traffic, 5MB/s with HPET
and 8MB/s with TSC.

How much can Linux handle?
Will install ubuntu on the same machine and let you know, but my experience shows that FreeBSD + TSC
have the same performance as Linux.

>I didn't check dummy time counter.

If you do, it would give a nice indicator of how much the time counters are expensive in both absolute terms and relative to the rest of the stuff the program does (network IO). The "dummy" timecounter just increments a number when called, no time keeping is involved.

Here are the max speeds I can reach with different counters (on the test server):

i8254 - 3.660 MB/s
ACPI-fast - 7.137 MB/s
TSC - 12.519 MB/s
dummy - 12.366 MB/s