What's vkernel's or modern UML multithreaded performance compared to native?

I have not been reading hackers in a long time and have no idea what's going
on... Please excuse my butting in...

Given the fact that there are not as many developers as needed, what would be a
practical purpose of vkernel?

UML is typically used to debug drivers and/or for hosting. Now that Linux about
to have or already has container technology, hosting on UML makes little sense.

KVM and other hypervisors are valuable testing tools and can sometimes make
sense in a hosting environment. If someone was to work on an open source
hypervisor, perhaps they should consider Innotek's product. KVM and Xen use VT
extensions to run guests in a protected mode. It's a little slow. Innotek has a
fast binary translator.

The big questions is whether there is a practical reason to run FreeBSD as a
host, or this more about the "Freedom of choice?"

I couple of years ago, we implemented a fairly complete container functionality
in FreeBSD 5.x. It even supported live-migration of virtual environments. I
showed it A. Perlstein while he was working in New York. We tried to see if
anyone was interested at the time, but we have found none.