Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
Doug Barton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Andrey Chernov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Please note that BSD grep is not localized (and can't be per design)
and works only with standard C locale. It may not affect ports
system processing but shurely affects real texts handling.
That is very troubling. In this day and age localization is a
requirement. I cannot imagine being supportive of adding something to
the base that does not have this capability.

We don't have a locale-aware regex implementation.  Henry Spencer wrote
one for Tcl 8, and it seems to be under an MIT-equivalent license, but
I'm not sure how hard it would be to extirpate.  It might be easier to
lift it from PostgreSQL, which also uses it.

Ok, that's a slightly different situation, thanks for clarifying that. Sounds like that would be a good project for GSOC next year. :)

Meanwhile, for those who didn't notice last night (*cough*) I added the WITHOUT_GNU_GREP knob for src.conf to make it easier for folks to test this in HEAD.

hth,

Doug