On 22.03-22:33, Boris Kochergin wrote:
> Ahoy. I got bitten by this today--a system I administer for someone had
> users in more than 16 groups, so I had to bump the value, recompile the
> kernel, and reboot. It seems desirable to (at the very least) make this
> a read-only tunable that can be set using /boot/loader.conf, so as to
> avoid source modification and kernel recompilation. I had a look around,
> and noticed that NGROUPS_MAX is used to construct static arrays in a
> couple of locations ("ibcs2_gid_t iset[NGROUPS_MAX];"). It seems that
> malloc(9)/MALLOC(9) can be used to allocate memory for the array
> instead, and panic() (or something) can be called if the allocation
> fails, no? Is that about the gist of it? If I'm not overlooking
> something major, I'd like to take a stab at it.

i've sumbitted a patch for this to hackers@' list but actually
bumping the groups limit is more work.  i'm pretty far on with it
but am unsure wwhen it'll be completed.  if anyone wishes a copy of
the patches or current working patch then i'd be happy to post it.

note that bumping NGROUPS_MAX will do little in itself.