In the last episode (Apr 17), Bruce Cran said:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:14:19 -0400 Damian Gerow <dge...@afflictions.org>
> wrote:
> > Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > > [snip a whole bunch of stuff]
> > >
> > > I can't speak to the rest, but this is probably because you have SMP
> > > and don't have `options PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE=128' in your kernel config.
> >
> > Ah, so that's what causes that.
> >
> > Any particular reason GENERIC has SMP, but doesn't set
> > PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE=128?
>
> I think from previous discussions there might be some concern about
> stack usage when it's enabled.

I was going to ask if a mutex or other method could be used in the console
driver somewhere to prevent interleaved writes (the same way two userland
writes to a single fd aren't interleaved), but I looked at the kernel's
kvprintf function, and it really does send a character at a time to its
output callback function.  Maybe a mutex can be added inside kvprintf if
TOCONS is set in pca.flags?  So instead of malloc'ing a buffer, just make
the 2nd kvprintf call wait for the first to finish.

--
        Dan Nelson
        dnel...@allantgroup.com