noticeably higher chance of leaving you with an unbootable system than
if you were using Linux with ext3/ext4 or Windows with NTFS.

Can you back this up? I cannot recall having ever rendered a FreeBSD
system unbootable due to UFS/UFS2 problems after a power failure or

I can confirm the opposite. I did really bad things with disk drives, including accidentally disconnecting SATA cable on working system that was doing lots of filesystem writes. NOTHING wrong happened.

I always use softupdates, including / partition (which usually is my only partition anyway :)

Once i have failed hardware which sometimes was writting rubbish to disk instead of proper data. after discovering this there was a bit mess but ONLY in files and directories i was writing to!!! fsck with manual attention repaired it all without problems. After fixing hardware problems and few files i used it without change.

I can't count how many times i ended with completely unreadable ext2, ext3 and reiserfs filesystem, the last being really kind of destruction ;)