Maxim Sobolev wrote:
Jason Evans wrote:

I would set MAXDSIZ to 0, so that the maximum amount of memory is available for mapping shared libraries and files, and allocating via malloc. This may cause problems with a couple of ports that implement their own memory allocators based on sbrk, but otherwise it should be all good. You might also set /etc/malloc.conf to 'd' in order to disable the sbrk calls.

I see, thank you for the explanation. One of the problem that we are having is that we use a lot of interpreted languages in our environment (python, php etc), and most of those implement their own memory allocators, some of which rely on sbrk(2) unfortunately. I believe that's where that 2GB limit of ours comes from - one of our Python applications is very memory hungry and we had to bump that limit to allow it sufficient room.

While Python has its own allocator, it relies on the platform malloc()
rather than sbrk(), and therefore Jason's suggestion to use '-d' in
/etc/malloc.conf should be effective for it.