On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 04:41:27PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Ulrich Spörlein, and lo! it spake thus:

> I have a .hg directory sitting in / for every machine I usually take
> care of. hgignore is of course set to *, so only explicitly added files
> are tracked.

I do pretty much the same thing (except mine has .bzr/ and .bzrignore
;).  Using the VCS to handle updates requires something a bit broader
though.  I HAVE considered it.  You'd need to do the sort of 'make
install' stuff mergemaster does to a tempdir, and make a branch there
checking in the snapshots, and have your etc be a derived branch from
that.  That way you have all the VCS merge capabilities to do the
merges and track where they came from.

Mergemaster works well enough that I've given no serious thought
beyond idle "that would be cool" thinking on the matter though   8-}

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fulle...@over-yonder.net