Hi,

> Hi all,
>
> I try to run FreeBSD-7-AMD64 on a Quad Xeon (Xeon MP 7320) and 32GB RAM.
> The Board is a X7QC3 by supermicro and the installation is done on
> another system, updated and plugged to this system. So I have a drive
> with 7-STABLE compiled today.
>
> The last line I see from dmesg is vga0- then the system freezes.
>
> Anyone using a similar configuration or knows what could be wrong? I
> still have some days left to play with it, before this box gets shipped
> to the customer.

This looks very, very similar to what I had once, on similar hardware
(4x Xeon 7xxx, SuperMicro). I didn't find a solution and didn't bother
since the box isn't intended for FreeBSD. I did find (by accident) a
curious workaround: I booted Linux (I used Ubuntu 8.04 amd64 LiveCD -
just to boot it, without installing), then rebooted and booted FreeBSD -
worked every time, but it's obviously not a long-term solution. If you
can also verify that this "solves" the problem, then someone might work
with you to produce a patch.

I just received four such servers, all intended for FreeBSD.... And I'm seeing exactly the same problem. I'm going to try booting Linux and then back into FreeBSD, but it's obviously not a solution. Anyone who might want to work on this can have a box like this to work on via remote KVM (including remote boot media capability) any time.

I'm going to go poke the supplier and Supermicro for some updated firmware.
Any progress on your end?

Some additional info: Safe mode boot gets a bit further, to the point where it tries to mount/read from /dev/md0, but then hangs hard.

/Eirik