Me Too!

I have TWO identical systems with Asus M3A78-CM Motherboards, and an
ARC-1200 in each that is having this problem.  Removing that controller
allows the install CD to boot.  Merely removing the drives from the
controller does not.

I've upgraded the BIOS, moved the controller to another slot, futzed in
the BIOS (disabling/enabling,etc) - to no avail.  I also upgraded the
controller BIOS.

I've booted 7.0R, 7.1R, 8.0Current(12/08), and 6.4R. 6.4R just 'hangs'
at 'Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle' (which is just before
the kernel dump on 7 and 8), the rest crash with the below error.
Obviously 8.0 has more data, but the jist is the same.

I also found this link from 2007 which seems similar:

Thoughts? suggestions?  If you would like more info, I'd be happy to
provide it.  The controller has worked fine in OpenSolaris 2008.11, and
I booted Ubuntu 8.10 for giggles and it worked there as well.

Should I install onto a MotherBoard connected disk, then plug in the
areca?  Would that provide a dump point to get you guys more data?
I want the areca as RAID 1 boot, and the SATA connected to the
motherboard as JBOD for ZFS (hence the OpenSolaris above).

Rick

Attachment not getting throuh. Panic transcribed below.
/Eirik

On Jan 21, 2009, at 20:53, Eirik Øverby wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> see attached screenshot for panic screen. This happens when booting
> from 7.1-release CD. The box is a Sun X2200 M2, the controller is a
> 2-port SATA-II controller with 128mb cache memory. One drive is set
> as single drive (RAID-0), another as passthrough (to get hold of
> some data from pre-areca times).
>
> Another Areca controller in another box (different controller model
> (4-chan sata) and box (tyan transport)) works just fine.
>
> Input welcome.
>
> /Eirik

(probe16:arcmsr0:0:16:0): inquiry data fails comparison at DV1 step
arcmsr0: isr get an illegal srb command doneacb=´0xffffffff8124e000´
srb=0xffff
ffffaeb6c420´ srbacb=´0xffffffff8124e000´
startdone=0x3c3csrboutstandingcount=-1

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address = 0x34be2988
fault code = supervisor read data, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0xffffffff807914c3
stack pointer = 0x10:0xffffffffaecaab60
frame pointer = 0x10:0xffffffff8124e000
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
               = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 36 (irq17: arcmsr0)
trap number = 12
panic: page fault