Should an 80-wire Ultra-ATA data cable intended for use at UDMA66
or UDMA100 also work at UDMA133, or does the higher speed require
different cabling?

Background:  I've been experiencing occasional UDMA ICRC errors on
the IDE port of a PCI SATA/IDE controller card using the VIA VT6421
chipset, and I've noticed that "atacontrol mode" reports the port
speed as UDMA133.  The data cable is brand new, but it came with
a UDMA100 card.  (I got much worse results with a different 80-pin
cable, which looked similar but may have been intended only for
UDMA66.)

I've found several similar reports in the forum and mailing-list
archives, with no definitive solution but quite a few "it works
for me" responses, and one observation that the VT6421 seems to
work well with some drives and not so well with others.  It occurs
to me that the difference might, perhaps, involve the DMA speeds
(which aren't mentioned).