reposting with a useful subject line and more comments

On 3/22/14, 10:33 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:

in ipfw that's up to you..
but I usually put the check-state quite early in my rule sets.

On 3/22/14, 1:34 AM, Ian Smith wrote:
Firstly, that's the one page in the handbook (that I know of) that needs
completely nuking.  It contains many factual errors as well as weird
notions, and will only tend to mislead you; consult ipfw(8) and prosper.
I'd say refer to the examples in rc.firewall but it too is in disrepair.

I am working on a new rc.firewall that is much more efficient.
the trouble is that the script to make it do what I want is a bit more complicated.
I'll put it out for discussion later. maybe tonight.

as for the handbook pages.. after we see how the new firewall rules work
we can see about rewriting the page.