On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 19:24:21 +0800, Bill Yuan wrote:
 > On Monday, March 14, 2016, Ian Smith <smi...@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
 >
 > > On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 07:39:36 +0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
 > >  > On 14/03/2016 7:37 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:
 > >  > > On 11/03/2016 8:46 PM, Kulamani Sethi wrote:
 > >  > > > Dear all,
 > >  > > >
 > >  > > >       I am using ipfw3. When i am installing ipfw driver in
 > > windows-7
 > >  > > > machine the network goes down. If uninstall that driver again then
 > >  > > > network
 > >  > > > comes automatically. That means ipfw driver does not support.
 > >  > > >
 > >  > > >              I have also digitally signed by Microsoft kernel mode
 > >  > > > signing
 > >  > > > process for authenticate the publisher.
 > >  > > >
 > >  > > >
 > >  > > > Process of installing: Local Area Connection-> properties ->
 > > Install ->
 > >  > > > service -> Add ->OK (I can also see there message by system  "Driver
 > >  > > > digitally signed")
 > >  > >
 > >  > > this is amusing..  Ipfw on windows?  I never knew of this..
 > >  > >
 > >  > > can you send us all the links to this project?
 > >  > never mind:
 > >  >
 > >  > google to the rescue:
 > >  >
 > >  >  http://wipfw.sourceforge.net/
 > >
 > > What's amazing is that we - you and I, anyway - have never heard of it.
 > >
 > > And that it goes back to 2005, and apart from fwd, seems to follow ipfw
 > > semantics, up to 2011 anyway.  Kudos to the porters, fitting it into a
 > > Wimdows kernel environment.  A gui even, pretty standard 'man ipfw'
 > > docs, properly attributed authorship ..
 > >
 > > "IPFW ported to Windows® by Ruslan Staritsin and Vladislav Goncharov."
 > >
 > > As for Kulamani's problem, I wonder if it needs some technique roughly
 > > equivalent to that needed when loading ipfw over a remote connection:
 > >
 > >   # kldload ipfw && ipfw add 65000 allow ip from any to any
 > >
 > > but I really shouldn't try second-guessing ANYTHING to do with Windows,
 > > which always seems to hate me even more than the reverse :)
 > >
 > >  > > > Could anyone please help me for this issue. Thanks in advance.
 > >
 > > From the Contacts page on SF: "If you have any questions about this
 > > project, please email at iptab...@mail.ru <javascript:;>"

 > Oh please lah. it is not ipfw3

Well Bill, it's gotten harder to tell what is meant by 'ipfw3'.  I spent
- hopefully not wasted - several hours digging around today, trying to
ease my own confusion, and I've kept half an eye on this for years.

Luigi and colleagues first released versions if ipfw+dummynet under the
name ipfw3 in early 2010 as near as I can tell.  The naming is explained
in the README at https://github.com/luigirizzo/dummynet which includes
versions for Linux (2.4 and 2.6 at that time), OpenWRT and yes, Windows.

Several other releases are at http://info.iet.unipi.it/~marta/dummynet/
all using the ipfw3 moniker.

So perhaps that is the ipfw3 Kulamani is talking about, not wipfw?

Further, https://github.com/luigirizzo/dummynet/blob/master/NOTES
acknowledges that the windows port was originally begun from wipfw.

If you google "ipfw3" (including quotes) you'll find references to your
ipfw3 for dragonflyBSD, and plenty of references to *ipfw3.* archives of
ipfw + dummynet sources and binaries as used with various Linux distros,
questions about mostly the latter on lots of forums and lists ..

This one is a good browse starting point, moving down or up the tree:
https://www.cct.lsu.edu/~xuelin/dummynet/20100319-ipfw3/ipfw3/ for an
early version.

So I have to wonder whether you did much research before choosing a name
for a different implementation?  I guess that's too late to fix now, but
let's try to be clear about differentiating two quite different things.

cheers, Ian