On 31/08/2017 22:27, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
On 31.08.2017 15:10, Graham Menhennitt wrote:
On 10-Stable, the interface is re1. The output of 'ifconfig re1 | grep
options' is:
options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>

     nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

On 11-Stable (the one with the problems), it's igb1 and the output of
'ifconfig igb1 | grep options' is:
options=6403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>

     nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

You need to disable TSO on your interface, ipfw nat is not compatible
with TCP segmentation offloading (this is noted in ipfw(8) BUGS section).

Try to use:
ifconfig igb1 -vlanhwtso -tso4

You can add these option to "ifconfig_igb1" variable in rc.conf.

Thanks very much for that Andrey (and Ian). It fixes the performance problem. I did look an the man page for both igb and ipfw but must have missed this. I agree, Ian, it would be good if there was some kind of warning at runtime.

So, that fixes the performance problems. I have another problem that I'll send a separate email about.

Thanks again,

    Graham