On 02/09/2017 20:46, Ian Smith wrote:
On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 11:44:51 +1000, Graham Menhennitt wrote:

  > I have a problem that seems to be a difference between ipfw/NAT
  > behaviour in 10-Stable versus 11-Stable. I have two servers: one running
  > 10-Stable and one running 11-Stable. I'm using the same rule set on both
  > (see below). It works correctly on 10-Stable but not on 11.
  >
  > The problem is seen on two places: an outgoing SMTP connection on port
  > 465, and an incoming to an IMAP server on port 993. In both cases, there
  > are lost packets and retransmissions. See below for a tshark capture of
  > one attempted SMTP session.
  >
  > Setting sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass to one or zero makes no
  > difference. Deleting the sshguard rule (table 22) makes no difference.
  > Deleting the nat rule makes everything work for this SMTP session (but
  > breaks the other machines on my network obviously).
  >
  > I have no doubt that I have misconfigured the firewall, but I don't see
  > what. And why is 11 different to 10? Any help would be much appreciated.
  >
  > Thanks in advance,
  >
  >      Graham

Mysterious.  Unless this is some other networking issue, three thoughts:

1) given that YYY is your public IP address, are the problematic SMTP
sessions actually going through NAT at all, or are they initiated from
YYY directly?  If the latter, it's hard to see why removing the NAT rule
should affect these session at all?

2) does it make any difference if you split the NAT rules into separate
rules, as per the ipfw(8) 'NAT, REDIRECT AND LSNAT' section in EXAMPLES?

3) given the tokens used in your ruleset, it appears that you are using
a preproceesor to substitute values rather than shell variables?  If so
(or even if not) can you confirm that the resulting in-place rulesets
shown by 'ipfw list' are absolutely identical on both machines?

Just some long shots ..

cheers, Ian

Thanks for replying, Ian.

Well I solved it. Similarly to my previous problem, the solution was to disable the TXCSUM option on the interface. So, now the entry in /etc/rc.conf says:

ifconfig_igb1="DHCP -vlanhwtso -tso4 -txcsum"

And it all works.

Thanks again,

    Graham