Quoting Robert Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (from Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:53:36 +0100 (BST)):

I don't know of any specific vulnerabilities that will open up, and I don't have time to read the source code to find them now, but I do promise you that if you allow arbitrary mounting of file systems in jail, you will likely run into quite a few, simply because mounting of file systems is a sensitive operation, modifies the file system

I agree, but I put the focus on "arbitrary". What I specially did not include in the list was ufs, procfs, fdescfs and some more.

UFS can cause a kernel panic if used with a bad FS image. For procfs we even recommend to not mount it in a normal system, and for others I don't know if they are robust enough.

For nullfs all depends if it can break out of the jail or not. If it can not, I don't see why we should not allow to mount it in a jail. Based upon what I've read in the source, it's even easy to test. As it gets path names the kernel resolves itself, the test would be to modify mount_nullfs to not do the realpath, and test by adding some "../" into the path (ok, this is a simplified description, there are several cases which have to be tested, but it is not rocked science).

For other FS it depends what they are/do and how robust they are. Wasn't there a FS-fuzzing paper a while ago which tested several FreeBSD FS for robustness? Very interesting would be the robustness for cd9660, msdosfs and udf. Those are candidates which would be interesting to use in a jail.

So, per my comments, I would recommend extreme caution because the implications are very tricky to reason about, requiring careful auditing of source code to ensure that expected protections will continue to be enforced. Caveat emptor. Beware the dog. Enter at your own risk. There be dragons. Run away!

I agree with everything except the "Run away!" :) This is CS, the outcome should be deterministic... :)

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Man who sleep in beer keg wake up stickey.