Quoting Miroslav Lachman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (from Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:48:03 +0200):

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
Quoting Jose Amengual <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (from Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:43:15 -0300):

Hi Guys.

The other day I install a server with jails with FreeBSD 7 32 bit in a 64 bit capable processor.

After I install I start wondering some things that I point out here :

Any benefit to install 64 bit vs 32 bit with the purpose of use jails ?

It depends. If you want to use more than 4G: yes.

Can I install a 32 bit FreeBSD and create 64 bit jails ? ( using ezjail or downloading the full 64 bit source to create the jail ).

No.

Can I install 32 bit FreeBSD and then made a make world and change it to 64 bit ? ( is recommended ?)

IIRC this depends upon your FreeBSD version. I think in CURRENT there's code which supports that now. No guarantees.

Can I install a FreeBSD 64 bit and create 32 bit jails ?

Sort of. You can install a 32bit world into the jail and make sure 32bit support is activated in the kernel. The 32bit programs will then run just fine in the jail (but 64bit ones should run fine too). It's the same way as you can run linux programs in a jail.

Do you mean installing whole 32bit world instead of 64bit, for example from ftp.freebsd.cz:/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/7.0-RELEASE/base/ or just /lib32 /usr/lib32 libraries?

I haven't tested it myself. I know that it is possible. It may need some twiddling. I haven't carefully looked at the kernel code, but as it uses the same infrastructure as the linuxulator (see compat/ia32/ia32_sysvec.c), it should be able to run with a plain i386 world (maybe you have to make a link /libexec/ld-elf32.so.1 -> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 as the compat32 stuff is trying to access this... or maybe even moving ld-elf.so.1 to a different name and linking to the new name, in case this may cause some kind of loop in the kernel).

Will it be possible in this (32bit) jail to install ports marked as arch i386 only, or some voodoo is needed to trick the ports system?

As the compiler is responsible to create the XXbit stuff, and you are using the 32bit compiler, it should be possible. Investigate the stuff which is used to change the uname output on the ports build cluster. This will be needed. Not all ports may work, in this case either fix the port, or use a package. Some ports will never be able to work (use of features which are not available in compat32).

What do you mean by "32bit support in kernel"? Is it just options COMPAT_IA32 as is in amd64 GENERIC or anything else?

COMPAT_IA32

I am interested in running 32bit ports on amd64 bit machine.

If you mean 64bit jail instead of machine: should be possible. If not: mixing without restrictions is not possible. It's an all or nothing approach for the userland.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
If society fits you comfortably enough, you call it freedom.
                -- Robert Frost