Stef Walter wrote:
# mkdir -p /etc/rc.conf.d
# echo "sig_stop=SIGQUIT" > /etc/rc.conf.d/cron

from lots of man pages, and old POSIX docs, they say that to 'reboot' or stop a unix system you send a SIGTERM to everything. the 'critcal' systems that need to stay up during reboot/haltsys (init!, getty) or anything that needs to do cleanup are supposed to trap (and ignore SIGTERM)

once the non critical systems are stopped, THEN you send the SIGQUIT.

I can't see anything critical about cron running during a reboot or haltsys. SIGQUIT should be the default for it anyway.

did you verify that this works for you?

that after setting for hours /etc/rc.d/cron stop works?

(I had one sitting overnight, worked.

yes, I want to know why.. I suspect its some combination of something rc. calls (something in my /usr/local/etc/rc.d dir)

but don't know why it 'hangs around'. maybe one of those rc scripts sets something bad.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
> *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

   * Certified SNORT Integrator
   * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
   * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008