Scheithauer, Lars (FH) wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've started to install an apache22 in a freebsd-jail and have a
problem. The jail has a public ip address, so from what I know, I
wouldn't have to forward any packages to it. I can reach the apache22
server by ip-address, but not by its DNS - the connection gets
"disrupted". I can successfully nslookup the DNS and if I watch the
traffic of the browser via wireshark, I see that it sends packages to
the server, but the server doesn't send any packages back. I also do not
find any traces of the connection attempt in the apache-logs.

The config-files of the apache are correct and read (tested by entering
some false configs and the server refused to start afterwards - and as
said I'm able to access it by its ip).

Now, is there any way that this could be caused by the jail?

You did not post what version and architecture you are using...
But I am runing several jails with Apache or Lighttpd without any issues (on 6.3 i386 and 7.2 i386 + amd64).
So I expect some misconfiguration on your side.

Are you sure you have correct DNS entries pointing to right IP and you have working resolv.conf inside jail? What about /etc/hosts?

Miroslav Lachman