On 11-6-2017 02:41, Allan Jude wrote:
> On 06/10/2017 20:13, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

>>> I totally skipped devd.conf in my mind in previous reply. So maybe you
>>> can really use devd.conf to allow access to /dev/adaX devices or you can
>>> use ZFS zvol if you have big pool and need some smaller devices to test
>>> with.
>>
>> I want the jail to look as much as a normal system would, and then run
>> ceph-tools on them. And they would like to see /dev/{disk}....
>>
>> Now I have found /sbin/devfs which allows to add/remove devices to an
>> already existing devfs-mount.
>>
>> So I can 'rule add type disk unhide' and see the disks.
>> Gpart can then list partitions.
>> But any of the other commands is met with an unwilling system:
>>
>> root@ceph-1:/ # gpart delete -i 1 ada0
>> gpart: No such file or directory
>>
>> So there is still some protection in place in the jail....
>>
>> However dd-ing to the device does overwrite some stuff.
>> Since after the 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada0' gpart reports a corrupt
>> gpartition.
>>
>> But I don't see any sysctl options to toggle that on or off

> To use GEOM tools like gpart, I think you'll need to unhide
> /dev/geom.ctl in the jail

Right, thanx, could very well be the case.
I'll try and post back here.

But I'll take a different approach and just enable all devices in /dev
Since I'm not really needing security, but only need separate compute
spaces. And jails have the advantage over bhyve that it is easy to
modify files in the subdomains.
Restricting afterwards might be an easier job.

I'm also having trouble expanding /etc/{,defaults/}devfs.rules and have
        'mount -t devfs -oruleset'
pick up the changes.
Even adding any extra ruleset to the /etc/defaults/devfs.rules does not
get picked up, hence my toying with /sbin/devfs.

--WjW