In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Sebastien Petit  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ok, I think that I've found the problem, this patch was not applied in
> RELENG_4_5 branch and is just available on RELENG_4 (so FreeBSD-4.6)
> Effectlivly, my running kernel was not actually built from those sources. So
> now all is working fine, thank you for your help John.

Thanks for the follow-up.  I'm glad to hear that the fix actually
works. :-)

> I've two other questions:
> * Why this patch was not applied on 4.5-STABLE branch ?

RELENG_4_5 is a security branch.  Nothing is added to it except
important security-related fixes.  Ordinary bug fixes are not added to
that branch.  If you want bug fixes too, you should use RELENG_4.

> * How can I distribute my software working with ng_ether without forcing the
> user to upgrade his kernel to FreeBSD-4.6 that is not released for the moment
> ?

It is released now.  But here's another option for you.  Along with
your software, distribute the fixed version of the ng_ether kernel
loadable module (ng_ether.ko).  Tell your users not to configure
NETGRAPH_ETHER into their kernels.  Instead, they should load the
module.  That should solve the problem for them.  I think the fixed
module should work fine with a 4.5 kernel.

John
--
  John Polstra