Adam wrote:
My ISP is placing strict restrictions on how much I can transfer each
month, with high penalties for exceeding their limits. However, they
don't provide any way for their customer's to check to see how much
they've transferred, so we end up transferring far less than what we are
allowed, just to make sure we avoid paying the fines for going over the
limit.

So, what I need to do is find a way to monitor my total bandwidth
through my external NIC. My gateway is running FreeBSD 4.8 with
ipf+ipnat.

I *don't* need anything fancy. All I need is to be able to check at any
time how much I've transferred since the first of the month. What's the
easiest way to set up something like this? I know there are fancy
solutions with graphs with usage stats and such, but that's not what I'm
after.

What's wrong with netstat?

netstat -i | -I interface [-abdnt] [-f address_family] [-M core]
        [-N system]

Show the state of all network interfaces or a single interface
which have been auto-configured (interfaces statically configured
into a system, but not located at boot time are not shown).  An
asterisk (``*'') after an interface name indicates that the
interface is ``down''.  If -a is also present, multicast
addresses currently in use are shown for each Ethernet interface
and for each IP interface address.  Multicast addresses are shown
on separate lines following the interface address with which they
are associated.  If -b is also present, show the number of bytes
in and out.  If -d is also present, show the number of dropped
packets.  If -t is also present, show the contents of watchdog
timers.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           USC Information Sciences Institute