Hi,

Ingo Flaschberger wrote:
Dear Rudy,

I used polling in FreeBSD 5.x and it helped a bunch. I set up a new router with 7.0 and MSI was recommended to me. (I noticed no difference when moving from polling -> MSI, however, on 5.4 polling seemed to help a lot. What are people using in 7.0?
polling or MSI?

if you have a inet-router with gige-uplinks, it is possible that there will be (d)dos attacks. only polling helps you then to keep the router manageable (but dropping packets).
Let me disagree :)
I'm experimenting with bridge and Intel 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller.
On quad core system I have no problems with the stability of the bridge without polling. taskq em0 takes 100% CPU, but I have another three (cpus/cores) that are free and the router is very very stable, no lag on other interfaces
and the average load is not very high too.

Kind regards,
    Ingo Flaschberger

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev